Finding and hiring developers from the comfort of your desk is the new way of doing things. According to HR Drive, 86% of IT developers work remotely.
But many companies still struggle getting the right candidate for their job offers online. The good news is that with the following tips, you’re good to go:
Step 1: What do You Need?
First things first- highlight the position’s requirements on paper. In general, you need to:
- Describe the position: this will act as a subject or title
- The projects or area of work
- Technologies: the must-haves and the goo-to-have
- Payment: appropriate budget, fixed-price, or periodic rates (like hourly and daily). Be transparent and open here to ensure only the suitable candidates ask questions from you.
As simple as it seems, be sure the job ad sounds and looks like an ad. You’re looking to attract the right developers. So the ad has to portray that you:
- Are a serious company
- Know how to pen down words- proves you can explain tasks well
- Respect candidates by offering excellent salaries, job conditions, and realistic expectations
- Know what you’re looking for
Be sure your ad is reusable across a myriad of online platforms.
Step 2: Where Do You Find the Developers?
Now it’s time to distribute your job offer. You can put it wherever you wish online- job board, your company website, etc. the aim to provide people with a contact link.
1. Your Social Network
Your online follower and personal colleagues are the first people to see the offer. You can also get the word around through a kind of marketing campaign. This step will create a lasting impression on your company.
LinkedIn is probably the first network to consider. After, it’s where professionals hang out. Other networks include Twitter and Facebook.
2. Freelance Job Boards
They include Upwork, Freelancer, Guru, and PeoplePerHour. These platforms are more or less the same- after posting your offer, people will compete for it. So set aside some time to vet them, as the proposals tend to be many.
One downside about these platforms is that candidates tend to compete on price. So ridiculously cheap offers are bound to land. And if you’re looking for top-grade talents from these platforms, you have to dig deeper. Avoid going by just what’s in the proposals.
3. Specific Technological Job Boards
Some platforms are niching down. They only attract freelancers who know their trade regarding specific technology. For example, platforms like Codeable interview and admit WordPress developers.
So expect only the best of the best. While you’ll have to dig deeper into your pockets, you’ll enjoy value for your money- no wasting time vetting or going back to get the work redone afresh in case a previous freelancer messes you up.
4. Virtual Recruiter
There’s a new and enriching trend- some companies like DevReady recruit the best developers in technology. The good thing is that they accommodate various technological fields. So if you’re looking for a real full-stack or specialized professional, consider these platforms.
Step 3: How Do You Decide on the Price?
While you’ll probably have an idea of how much your project should cost, different remote developers will offer you different prices. Be sure to consider the following:
- Differing economic levels worldwide: for example, candidates in the US will most likely quote higher rates than those in the Philippine and India. And the quality of skills may remain similar. So comparing price to price may not work in most cases.
- Therefore, avoid the Extremes: the cheapest developers are most probably coding for food, while the most expensive ones don’t necessarily mean they’re the best. The general rule of thumb is to go for the middle lot.
Step 4: How Do You Choose the Right Candidate?
When recruiting remotely, be sure to:
- Set aside time to hire carefully
- Take note of red-flags- avoid candidates who:
- Didn’t go through your job description
- Just talk about themselves
- Have low ratings
Good pointers are here:
- Are freelancers that have worked remotely before
- Excellent communication skills
- Past tasks like yours
Are you looking to hire a top-notch developer for your next big project? Look no further. At DevReady, you’ll get your project done with bespoke precision. Schedule a call now to start the journey.