Alex is a Senior Back End Software Engineer and Data Engineer with 9 years of professional experience.enjoys working with data warehouses, building and improving pipelines, making sure data is available in a format that is easy to analyze, and meeting with stakeholders to ensure the business needs are met. He focuses on modernizing data systems to use more efficient ingestion methods and prefers to leverage modern data tools to reduce costs. Alexander
He was responsible for:
– Leading and building out the data engineering team at Currency.
– Managing the architecture and maintenance of a new SQL Server database for use with an in-house workflow management solution for all Currency employees to use daily in place of Salesforce for managing all financing applications.
– Automating all sales commissions reports and vendor referral fees & rebates reports to be generated off of the Data Warehouse directly instead of data exports imported into Excel.
– Migrating data workflows that pass data between Azure SQL databases from ETL to Elastic Queries in Azure SQL.
– Providing reports to executives. Managing all Power BI reports and updating those reports to include new metrics. Working with the data analytics department to migrate reports to Tableau.
– Started on a migration of the existing SQL Server data warehouse to a Snowflake data cloud by replacing data loading tasks in Airflow with automated continuous data load using Microsoft Azure Event Grid and Snowflake’s Snowpipe.
– Helped maintain and optimize the data warehouse, data lake, and various databases (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Cosmos DB)
– Built new data pipelines and reports
– Migrated Apache Airflow from virtual machines to Azure Kubernetes Service
– Refactored all Airflow pipelines to use Jinja templating
– Added PagerDuty integration in Airflow to create incidents when critical pipelines fail
– Expanded the integration with Salesforce and other services
– Contributor of Apache Airflow, provided multiple UI and back-end bug fixes to the open-source software
2019: Managed the extraction and load of data from many data sources into a data warehouse.
Stack: Python, Node.js
Data: Snowflake, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, MySQL, many third-party APIs (Airtable, Facebook, Namely, etc)
Tools: Apache Airflow, Docker, Azure Container Instances, Azure Functions, AWS S3
2018-2019: Sole maintainer of the legacy monolith point-of-sale, inventory management, and cultivation tracking system and implemented Docker containerization for full deployment into Azure. Implemented a DevOps deployment strategy to allow for easier deployment and maintenance.
Tools: Docker Compose, Azure Web Apps for Containers, Azure DevOps CI/CD Pipelines
2018-2019: Worked with PM on development of a new cultivation tracking system. Visited cultivation facilities across the country to find ways to streamline, modernize, and standardize cultivation technology.
2018: Worked with PMs on developing a new version of MedMen’s point-of-sale software to be mobile based. Tasked by the SVP of Technology to ensure there were no gap in features and functionality between the existing system and the new system. Met with PMs, finance teams, and compliance teams to ensure correct functionality in the new system.
2018: Worked with the Supply Chain team, ERP developers and PM on migrating all inventory and lab testing records into Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Also helped facilitate with ingestion and inventory updates from physical inventory counts.
2017-2018: Managed hundreds of iPad in stores throughout California, Nevada and New York using both Apple and Cisco Meraki mobile device management (MDM) solutions to deploy apps and remotely manage devices and in conjunction with Apple’s Device Enrollment Program (DEP) pre-configured devices for new store openings.
Since inception developed point of sale, inventory management, cultivation, and manufacturing systems for facilities in California, Nevada, Arizona, New York, and Florida. Integrated software with multiple types of retail and industrial printers. Built many of the company’s websites as well as the iOS menu app used on iPads inside all of its stores.
2012 – 2017: Lead developer on MedMen’s first proprietary point of sale, inventory management, and cultivation tracking system used in all CA stores and cultivation facilities in CA and NV.
Stack: Python, Django, PostgeSQL, Celery, Redis, Backbone.js. (2012 – 2014: PHP, CodeIgniter)
Tools: NGINX, Tornado, RequireJS, Jinja, Handlebars, SASS, FPDF, Supervisor, Fabric, uWSGI,
DigitalOcean, CentOS, AWS EC2, AWS S3
2016 – 2017: Built the first iOS app for iPads inside all of its CA stores as well as iPads used by cultivation technicians in facilities in CA and NV.
Stack: Objective-C, Swift, Backbone.js
Tools: Apache Cordova, Socket Mobile scanners
2013 – 2018: Integrated software with receipt printers, label printers, and plant tag printers.
Stack: CUPS; Printer Control Languages: ZPL, PCL, ESC/P
2012 – 2017: Built many of the company’s websites.
Stack: jQuery, Jade/Pug, Wagtail, WordPress, MySQL, SQLite